Saturday, January 25, 2014

An Exciting Dinner!

Last night the seas were the roughest they have been. At dinner time they started to get really, really big and a few times waves hit that were so big that everything on all the tables jsut fell off. When the first big wave came, there were broken plates, food, water everywhere. I wasn't at the table when it happened, but one of my friends John had about 5 plates and water pitchers all fall on him when the first wave hit and he was covered in food, plates, cups and water…. wish i had seen it. People then started to pay more attention but throughout dinner cups and plates kept flying off tables. a few people fell off their chairs or they tipped backwards- no one got hurt so it was actually hilarious!! I didn't feel sick at all- but didn't sleep too well as our drawers kept opening and closing throughout the night due to the rocking.

Today though Its about 70 degrees and sunny with medium waves- perfect weather for doing work outside on the tables on the 7th deck.

Dodgeball was cancelled again- we aren't sure why because it is gorgeous out and not too rough at all.

Hard to believe Japan is coming up so soon- only 2 more full days!! I thought the trip from Hawaii to Japan was going to be a lot worse but as I am getting more accustomed to things on the ship and since the weather has been so good it really hasn't been as bad as I thought and its actually been really really fun and I am loving being on the ship!

My dad emailed me and said its going to be in the 40s and 50s in Japan which isn't as cold as expected- good thing because I brought barely any warm clothes!

FYI- mom and virg- your comments went through, and I received them as an email notification- thanks!!!!

Ill post again tomorrow!

5 comments:

  1. Wow! Sounds like a truly physical adventure.

    It's funny, when I tell people that my daughter is "on" Semester at Sea, they immediately think of total easy going. The description of the heavy seas is illuminating. I've never experienced it, but it can only imagine the respect that you are gaining for the enormity and power of the world. And.... You have only started!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Annie! Seriously impressed with your not being phased by those insane waves. I get sick cabbing it on the way to JFK (or on the drive back from Hanover--but that was for different reasons....).

    Can you download a sound machine app to drown out the drawers?! I suggest urban rain + thunderstorm + white noise. Works like a charm!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hhaha annie is the QUEEN of sleep machines!

    ReplyDelete
  4. so all my "TEST TEST TEST" came through?? FINALLY figured out blog posting. embarrassing. waves sound crazy- you are brave, i would be scared! thank goodness you aren't sick yet! How's Bridgett?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Those waves sound crazy! I have visions of what looks like a good fight .., but wasn't. Enjoy Japan- I am so jealous! Sayonara! Give our love to Hiroe!

    ReplyDelete