Tuesday, January 28, 2014

Last Post until After Japan!

I am finished with my 2 tests and now am packing for Japan!

Last night was another super rocky night and dinner was very exciting with plates, food, and drinks flying everywhere. One of my friends was sitting cross legged in a chair and just completely tipped over backwards!

Dodgeball was cancelled AGAIN due to high winds….. It has been surprisingly warm out all day though- probably in the 50s and we are only 120 nautical miles from Japan- hopefully that means it won't be as cold as we have been expecting!

We had a UVa reception where all the UVa students and faculty met up. I am surprised at how few of us there were… about 16 students and 4-6 teachers…. some may have been no shows though…. They had chips and salsa though and it was absolutely incredible- I can't get over how food that normal can seem like such a treat on the ship!!

I am meeting my "ship family" tonight! There is an optional program where you sign up to be part of a family and one of the teachers, spouses, or life long learners becomes your "parent" with a group of kids and you can do meals or activities with them just as another way to meet and connect with more people. Tonight we are going to get pizza and ice cream at the snack bar!

Also tonight is Japan "pre port": a required meeting telling us safety, dock time, and logistics. I thought these meetings were going to be really annoying but they are actually really helpful, short, and surprisingly interesting.


Thanks for the comments! To answer virg's question- yes, your test posts came through!! i got lots of email notifications and it was pretty funny! and also I figured out that right now if you add 10 hours to my time here, you get EST but earlier in the day. So if its 5:45 pm on Tuesday for me, it is 3:45 am Tuesday for EST. We got 2 extra hours over the course of the past 2 days- catching up on sleep we won't be getting in Japan!! To answer your other question if you go to semesteratsea.org and click on the Spring 2014 50th anniversary voyage you get our whole itinerary! And I'm obviously missing family, friends, uva and chloe but with February coming up where I am only on the ship sporadically for 9 days, and seeing mom and dad in burma I'm really all set!

Dad- I will be sure to ask about how long 1,200 nissans would keep the plant busy!!!

Jessica- yes- i literally can't sleep without white noise- its the best!!!

Thanks for the long emails from lots of my friends and mogie- its sooo good to hear from you!!!

I am not planning on blogging until I get back on the ship and have email which will probably be February 4th. I will have a big update then though!!

9 comments:

  1. So excited for your first real port! I am so jealous because Japan was canceled for me due to tsunami. Can't wait for full recap. Just looked at Tokyo weather and highs in the 50's! After japan and china you will have all warm weather though.
    I lost hours for most of my trip so enjoy all the extra hours of sleep you have been getting!
    Love you baby!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm bummed about the repeated cancellations of dodgeball. It is like the Super Bowl being postponed over and over again. I can't wait to hear abut your resumed quest for a championship after you get back on the ship.

    The family thing sounds cool—especially for the adults! Imagine Heidi as a lifelong learner bonding with a surrogate family!,

    ReplyDelete
  3. Also, it sounds like you are signing up for everything. Very proud and happy for you and your attitude. I'm sure some of your activities will be better than others,. But, you will certainly have unexpected positive surprises that will make up for the "not so much" activities.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Amazing how few UVA students and faculty. Before the trip when you estimated the numbers I just assumed that you and Bridget were crazy and didn't know what you were talking about. You should reach out to the head of the program at UVA and have a debrief after the trip. Ask of he or she would like more UVA participation. If so you could run some informational receptions and stuff. Maybe they like it as it is.... Is the boat full? Do they sell out?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh yea, good policy to "take it all in" in Japan and not worry about communicating. I'll miss the posts, but go for it in Japan. Take lots of pictures! Can't wait for your slides how when you return. Also, say hi to Hiroe for me!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Annie! Happy last night on the ship. I am sure you are getting so excited to get off and start your adventure in a foreign country! I can't wait to hear stories about the life long leaners in your family. What if you had NO idea and all of a sudden there was MOM and her new Columbus Job was just one big ruse! wow. that would be something. All's well here in NYC- but talk about cold! been 10 degrees every morning on the walk to work (Hudson river is frozen in spots), so 50 sounds wonderful. I hope in the absence of actual dodgeball games you and Bridgett are practicing your moves and technique. Love you lots, and enjoy Japan. Take some pics to send along later. I can't wait to hear ALL about it!

    ReplyDelete
  7. The dodgeball anticipation is killing me. I like V

    ReplyDelete
  8. How's your "ship" family?
    I keep thinking about our trip to Japan when we were supposed to visit Margaret. Have a blast!

    ReplyDelete